TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages

Did someone mention...GARDENING!

Go down 
+13
ravengrim
MoonRaven
SPF
Lolita Rose
GothicScrybe
helen damnation
Emmature
DarkDreamer
Succubus
La Diva Carlotta
RedAngel
Synth
cynfullov
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7652700
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Did someone mention...GARDENING! Empty
PostSubject: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Suspect Well I took the topic and ran with it! And so here it is....

The Gardening Thread!

I've already bought a pack or two of seeds, stevia being the one I'm almost as eager to see grow as pumpkins tongue, but it probably won't grow tru from seeds and a plant would be a better choice then to take cuttings from it to keep it's harvesting going. But I don't know I could come up with variations that are good and go on to propagate it by cuttings.
Back to top Go down
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7588039
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:22 pm

When I have my own garden I will grown black baccara roses, Aurum Lillys and lots of other pretty flowers and all the fruit and veg I need Mmmmm self sufficient.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! 25883sk
More Numbers : 7421715
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey, garden stuff!

So this year I get to teach myself how not to kill plants. I think I'll do fine with veggies -- my grandmother kept a huge veggie garden for years, and I used to help her (well, try to) when I was little. I'll need to talk to her about tomatoes -- she grew the best! I'm hoping that she hasn't lost that part of her memory; it's far enough back that she probably still remembers (recent memory is her weak spot right now).

But ornamental plants, roses -- I have no idea. I guess I'll start with some plants that can handle a little neglect, and work my way up to more delicate ones in the next couple years.

Tips welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7593744

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Wish I had a garden. Damn you city living, damn you!

Actually, I'd like to plant some herbs in small pots by my kitchen window. Maybe some basil. I used to have a Chia herb garden in my other apartment, but it was attacked by a mouse.
Back to top Go down
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger
Number of posts : 6201
More Numbers : 7539179
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 4:44 pm

^actually Diva I know quite a bit of people that grow container gardens in their houses just keep it on the small side (like bell peppers and cherry tomatoes)

RedAngel I suggest maybe a wandering jew..you cannot kill that and they keep getting bigger as the months go by and the ones with the purple flowers are actually quite pretty.

Here is a link http://www.pernellgerver.com/wanderingjew.htm

I am going to try my hand at Zinnias this year. They usually only get about a 3-4 inches but my mom grew some last year that were over a foot tall and they were beautiful!!! All I need is a whole lot of cow manure. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer

Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 933
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! 29cndqs
More Numbers : 7525589
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 5:14 am

Despite living in a yardless apartment, I have a ton of plants! I have a really big window that receives a ton of sunlight, and I've basically got that whole area of my bedroom covered in plants. Some of them could actually survive my climate-- I've got some St. John's Wort, Patio Roses, Clover, and Ivy, and I'm planning on planting at least the first three of those in my parent's yard come the summer in order to make room for either some herbs or more tropical plants.

I've got a lot of tropical plants in my room too, and I love them. Having plants around is just so nice. They're beautiful, they give me something to nurture [since I can't have pets, as I live in a school-owned apartment], and they're amazing air filters! I can tell that there's a difference in air quality between my room and all of the other indoor spaces I tend to spend time in.
Back to top Go down
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:04 am

^^^I have never tried my hand at Ivy Dark Dreamer, does it do well in low light. The reason why I ask is I would love to grow some in my kitchen and I don't get enough light in there except for the evenings. I currently have Phiodendron growing in there but I would love to add more . Smile
Back to top Go down
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 11:21 am

Has anyone tried something along these lines for tomatoes? I am thinking of getting two to see how they do this year.
https://www.hangingtomato.com/?cid=486592
Back to top Go down
DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Ivy does well in low light. I have mine tucked away on a shelf in a corner, and it appears to be doing fine.

Also, I've never tried inverted planters, but I've heard that they work pretty well. However the one's I've seen have all been made of recycle soda bottles (just cut off the bottom, string the stalk of the plant through the spout of the bottle, and fill the rest of the bottle with dirt.)
Back to top Go down
DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer

Pisces Horse

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 2:39 am

I just started buying seeds for my food garden this summer. I'm wicked excited! So far I've got seeds for peas, radishes, beets, honeydew, green onion, chive, lavender, and some strawberry clippings. I've also got some patio roses, clover, and st. john's wort that have been living in my dorm room for a while that I'm planning on putting outside.

Later on I'm planning on getting seeds, plants, or clippings for some rhubarb, roses, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, lettuce, cabbage, potato, cucumbers, kale, squash, pumpkin, watermelon, tomato, basil, oregano, dill, chamomile, spinach, mint, grapes, and peppers.

I'll be starting some of my seeds next weekend.

I love fresh organic fruits and veggies, and can't wait to tear up a good portion of my parents horrid lawn and fill it with food! I just see their yard as wasted space at this point; it could be a beautiful and bountiful garden providing my family with a lot of food instead of just sitting there needing to be mowed.
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7367201
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 11:40 am

Wandering Jew is great and hard to kill. I also recomend pothos ivy as a good "starter plant." Also, according to a NASA experiment it's one of the best at filtering air and... I dunno, there's some reason why they're super for a spaceship.

Good enough for a spaceship? Good enough for me.

Speak of space gardening:
BEHOLD! The aerogarden!
http://www.aerogrow.com/

My own pictures will follow... as soon as I find my stupid camera card.

It's sprouting now!
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 9:14 pm

My husband and I just spent the whole day clearing the jungle called our front flower bed, taking down limbs from a dead tree (they were threatening to fall and cause some damage, and we've been there already, thanks), and laying down pine straw as mulch to keep us from getting outnumbered by the weeds again. faint

Because of my surgery last summer, I couldn't do any garden care (or lifting, or strain in general), so unfortunately some of the nice ornamental grasses have been strangled by vicious gangs of weeds. Hopefully, not again! We're wiped out -- I feel like I've been working out all day, probably because I have been.

Gardening will have to happen in the front flower bed or in pots this year -- the best area for gardening in the backyard is probably going to get covered by a deck this summer. bounce

I did get some pots and herbs, though. And some wildflower seeds. Things that are really hard to kill, you know? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 10:10 pm

^^ that reminds me I have to get out there and get my flower beds cleaned up.

I bought pansies today because they look like little smiling faces to me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Emmature
Emmature

Virgo Pig
Number of posts : 1038
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7367201
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 1:48 am

Yay! Not only is my AeroGarden growing, so are the seedlings I started!

But now I'm kind of nervous. I recently killed a primula. With that fresh in my mind I'm scared I'll accidentally kill the new plants.
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 am

This post is more animal than vegetable:

It's official: my husband and I are bird lovers, and our backyard is becoming a habitat! I'm still working on my planting skills -- just cleared years' worth of weeds out of a forgotten flower bed and put in some wildflower seeds; we'll see how they do. But we just got some new birdseed, and now our backyard is the place to be for goldfinches, house finches, chickadees, Eastern towhees, migratory sparrows, brown thrashers, etc. Hoping for bluebirds too. grin Next yard purchase will be a birdbath.

We went to a great shop run by a husband and wife who know all there is to know about birds. And we asked them how to get rid of mosquitos in the yard (which come out at 9 am, no lie) -- and they said get some bats out there! They eat mosquitos. So we're planning on getting a batbox! vamp (As soon as we find a spot in the yard that's high enough for it.) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
La Diva Carlotta
supernova
La Diva Carlotta

Scorpio Goat
Number of posts : 7864
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! Sdd7oz
More Numbers : 7593744

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 11:33 am

^^That's so cool! I wish I had a back yard.

I planted basil about a month ago and they're growing beautifully.

Yesterday and hubby and I visited Wave Hill which is about a 15 minute walk from our home. We were so inspired that we went to Home Depot afterwards to get some seeds and other houseplant accessories. grin
Back to top Go down
Synth
Synth

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 578
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! S3mrtd
More Numbers : 7588039

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 3:22 pm

just bought these for the garden

http://www.olive-trees.net/_borders/black-baccara%202.jpg

Black Baccara Rose bush!
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7686443
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Succubus wrote:
^^ that reminds me I have to get out there and get my flower beds cleaned up.

I bought pansies today because they look like little smiling faces to me. Smile

Pansies are the happiest little flowers ever. I'm planning a HOT basket (reds and purples) for outside the front porch and a COOL one (pale lemon and lilac) for the side of the house. Also planning to buy loads of deep purple petunias

I have a week off next week all on my onesome (because of the idiot I work for) but I'm either going to be gardening or lying in the garden with a good book Smile I need some chill out time in the garden, work is becoming more than just paying the bills at the moment and my head is starting to seriously hurt with all the crap
Back to top Go down
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:17 pm

I bought 4 Clivia miniata at a steal today at 2.00 a pot. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7686443
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:22 pm

Succubus wrote:
I bought 4 Clivia miniata at a steal today at 2.00 a pot. Very Happy

Oh my! They are pretty!

I was lured to the garden centre again today and I bought some lavender to pot along my garden path (every time somebody comes to the front door they will brush against it and release the scent), some blood red petunias and some gazanias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gazania

I love gazanias, they are like little stars!
Back to top Go down
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:25 pm

During the winter they sell Rosemary bushes that resembles christmas trees and I have always wanted one to put in the yard so I could just smell it on demand. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! Evil10
More Numbers : 7325486
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 4:53 pm

I used green onions out of my garden for the first time on Sunday! I was so proud!

I have my herbs drying on the counter and can't wait to grind them up and use them too!

Wheee!
Back to top Go down
http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
Succubus
supernova
Succubus

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 8:03 pm

I have a wish list already for this spring.

Green Wizard Rudbeckia

Zebra Grass but only as a barrier from my neighbor.

Black Knight Butterfly Bush
Back to top Go down
GothicScrybe
vip member
GothicScrybe

Aries Rooster
Number of posts : 2480
: : Did someone mention...GARDENING! Evil10
More Numbers : 7325486
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 11:07 am

Succubus wrote:

LOL
Back to top Go down
http://thelosttheforgottenthedamned.com/
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Succubus wrote:

Green Wizard Rudbeckia

Black Knight Butterfly Bush

Yep, we're working on "natural neighbor barriers" too. Laughing Our neighbors are nice (they did check on my husband when he was doing yardwork and a tree limb came down), but they've got one of those yards that looks like a perpetual yard sale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did someone mention...GARDENING!   Did someone mention...GARDENING! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Did someone mention...GARDENING!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheDarkRealm :: the threads :: Lifestyle-
Jump to: