TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Things You Must Have
What is everyone doing at the mo?
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Similar topics

PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"

Go down 
+9
DarkDreamer
Ginger_Snaps
Seduction of Madness
MoonRaven
velvet spider
RedAngel
cynfullov
helen damnation
ravengrim
13 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" Evil10
More Numbers : 7860572
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" Empty
PostSubject: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 6:56 pm

PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"

PETA wants to rename fish "sea kittens" wtf
7:43 PM, January 12, 2009

Pity the humble goldfish (and his cousins the salmon, trout and tuna). They're suffering, according to PETA, from a serious image problem. And PETA is aiming to fix that through a new campaign -- one that, they hope, will cause people to think of undersea creatures as they think of their beloved mammalian pets. From the campaign's website:

People don't seem to like fish. They're slithery and slimy, and they have eyes on either side of their pointy little heads -- which is weird, to say the least. Plus, the small ones nibble at your feet when you're swimming, and the big ones -- well, the big ones will bite your face off if Jaws is anything to go by.

Of course, if you look at it another way, what all this really means is that fish need to fire their PR guy -- stat.

The campaign's aim? To rename fish "sea kittens." In an interview with NPR's Anne Hillman, PETA campaign coordinator Ashley Byrne explains:

"Fish not only have the same ability to feel pain as a dog or a cat, but they also communicate with one another," she says. "They have complex social interactions; they form bonds; they express affection by gently rubbing against one another...

"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," Byrne says.

The Sea Kitten campaign launched in North Carolina, but PETA plans to expand it across the nation, according to NPR. And they've already asked South Dakota's Spearfish High School to change its name to "Sea Kitten High School."

See the PETA "Sea Kittens" site
Back to top Go down
helen damnation
helen damnation

Gemini Number of posts : 5254
: : Satan's cheerleader
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" 2hreirs
More Numbers : 7851881

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Mr Damnation told me about this when he got in from work this morning and I'm afraid to say that my response was "sea kitten and chips for tea then?" blush

I mean how bloody far do you go? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Somehow I actually see the amount of people going fishing to increase at the concept of "sea kittens". Nothing like catching and mounting a 50 pound sea kitten on your wall.
naughty Laughing naughty

PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" 0713_c10
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7818138
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 9:01 pm

^Gees tongue what'a pic!

Well we've always had catfish, but that name doesn't seem to have mattered. They've still ended up in the batter!

Anyone ever have any Crappie? Now there'sa name!
Back to top Go down
RedAngel
star member
RedAngel

Leo Snake
Number of posts : 5385
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" 25883sk
More Numbers : 7587153
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 12:04 am

faint I swear, PETA makes things *more* difficult for vegetarians. I don't want to be judged by the actions of the nutcases who came up with "sea kittens."

Changing hearts and minds, these folks, huh?
Back to top Go down
http://gracestudios.deviantart.com/
velvet spider

Number of posts : 246
More Numbers : 7572209
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 12:14 am

I think I'll enjoy a tuna-kitten sandwich while thinking about this some more... kooky
Back to top Go down
MoonRaven
MoonRaven

Cancer Pig
Number of posts : 9359
: : Geisha
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" Th_inl10
More Numbers : 7853186

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 12:48 am

crazy
Is PETA trying to force the world to be vegetarian/vegan?
Fish are fish. That's all there is to it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/moonraven83
Seduction of Madness
Seduction of Madness

Number of posts : 121
More Numbers : 7595717
Registration date : 2008-11-19

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 1:07 am

I read about this a while ago and see it as nothing more than failed propaganda. Eating cats will never be synonymous with eating fish in the eyes of the majority, that's all there's to it.

I LOLed pretty hard, but at the end of the day I will continue eating fish which are both delicious and healthy.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" Bjevig
More Numbers : 7758218
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 4:39 am

PETA just keeps making themselves look more and more insane.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/
DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer

Pisces Horse
Number of posts : 933
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" 29cndqs
More Numbers : 7691027
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 9:26 pm

This is just another classic example of PETA craziness... but on the bright side at least this campaign isn't laden with objectifying images of half-naked women like most of their other campaigns are. That still doesn't make it any less crazy though...

PETA just pisses me off. I'm a vegan, and am all for animal rights, and am sick of being associated with PETA because of that. Not only are they insane, but the way they use their budget is just appalling. They start crazy campaigns like this one, pretty much pouring money down the drain. If, for example, Farm Sanctuary or Sea Shepard, or even low-cost spay/neuter clinics had half the budget that PETA does, then so much more actual work could get done... and it wouldn't be filled with the sexism and stupidity that PETA is so well known for.
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" S1rl90
More Numbers : 7747042
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 pm

So, the land kittens that eat sea kittens are cannibals???!!! silent
Back to top Go down
SPF
vip member
SPF

Scorpio Number of posts : 1679
: : Fashionista
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" 2j4964z
More Numbers : 7743417
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 pm

ya, I am a vegetarian. Calling fish sea kittens is not going to work, but what if it does and people start eating kittens too lol.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7855201

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:21 pm

SPF wrote:
ya, I am a vegetarian. Calling fish sea kittens is not going to work, but what if it does and people start eating kittens too lol.

its possible, we don't eat cats but we eat catfish and we eat cows but not seacows (manatee's) so having kittens and sea kittens leaves the 50/50 chance one will be eaten
Back to top Go down
http://www.darkrealm13.com

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:26 pm

I like kitties cos they're so delicious...
Gone go kitties.
I can eat them every day
And my mom says that's okay

here's our
jingle for goldkitties
those baked and not fried goldkitties
the wholesome snack that smiles back until you bite their heads off
did you know they're made with real cheese
even tho they look like kitties
the snack that smiles back
GOLDKITTIES!
Back to top Go down
Maxmordon
star member
Maxmordon

Aquarius Horse
Number of posts : 4066
: : Distopian Man
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" S1rl90
More Numbers : 7747042
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am

SPF wrote:

Better not to know the origins the grilled meat they sell outside the baseball stadium after dark here in my hometown...

If it turns out to be cat it would actually be a relief.
Back to top Go down
endless dark
admin
endless dark

Sagittarius Monkey
Number of posts : 6473
: : Fearless Leader
: : PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7855201

PostSubject: Re: PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens"   PETA Wants To Rename Fish "Sea Kittens" I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 pm