TheDarkRealm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Main PageMain Page  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Random Thoughts
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

» Your Favourite TV Shows/Programs
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

» Things you want to learn!
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am

» Things You Must Have
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby SneakyST Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:26 am

» I feel Happy
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

» The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

» Bizarre News
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby endless dark Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 pm

» What is everyone doing at the mo?
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby Ginger_Snaps Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:08 am

» Post Random Pictures of yourself!
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 pm

» What Are You Listening To Now?
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

» The Official Birthday thread!
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby GhostRed Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:14 pm

» Recent Acquisitions Thread
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby Vampira132 Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 am

» What Are You Currently Watching?
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeby ravengrim Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Like/Tweet/+1
Most Viewed Topics
Recent Acquisitions Thread
What should NsanelilMunky go to college for?
Random Thoughts
The General Rant/Bitch/Moan Thread.
What is everyone doing at the mo?
Things You Must Have
I feel Happy
The funny pages
Similar topics

Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ravengrim
ravengrim

Virgo Rat
Number of posts : 7192
: : The Fallen Angel
: : Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered Evil10
More Numbers : 7696447
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered Empty
PostSubject: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Scientists claim to have the first persuasive evidence that Neanderthals wore "body paint" 50,000 years ago.

The team report in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) that shells containing pigment residues were Neanderthal make-up containers.

Scientists unearthed the shells at two archaeological sites in the Murcia province of southern Spain.

The team says its find buries "the view of Neanderthals as half-wits" and shows they were capable of symbolic thinking.

Professor Joao Zilhao, the archaeologist from Bristol University in the UK, who led the study, said that he and his team had examined shells that were used as containers to mix and store pigments.

Black sticks of the pigment manganese, which may have been used as body paint by Neanderthals, have previously been discovered in Africa.

"[But] this is the first secure evidence for their use of cosmetics," he told BBC News. "The use of these complex recipes is new. It's more than body painting."

The scientists found lumps of a yellow pigment, that they say was possibly used as a foundation.

They also found red powder mixed up with flecks of a reflective brilliant black mineral.

Some of the sculpted, brightly coloured shells may also have been worn by Neanderthals as jewellery.

Until now it had been thought by many researchers that only modern humans wore make-up for decoration and ritual purposes.

There was a time in the Upper Palaeolithic period when Neanderthals and humans may have co-existed. But Professor Zilhao explained that the findings were dated at 10,000 years before this "contact".

"To me, it's the smoking gun that kills the argument once and for all," he told BBC News.

"The association of these findings with Neanderthals is rock-solid and people have to draw the associations and bury this view of Neanderthals as half-wits."

Professor Chris Stringer, a palaeontologist from the Natural History Museum in London, UK, said: "I agree that these findings help to disprove the view that Neanderthals were dim-witted.

But, he added that evidence to that effect had been growing for at least the last decade.

"It's very difficult to dislodge the brutish image from popular thinking," Professor Stringer told BBC News. "When football fans behave badly, or politicians advocate reactionary views, they are invariably called 'Neanderthal', and I can't see the tabloids changing their headlines any time soon."

Interesting article.
Back to top Go down
TheDarkHippie
TheDarkHippie

Cancer Goat
Number of posts : 1101
: : Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered Egbrlw
More Numbers : 7356574
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 11:30 pm

That is awsome! What an amazing find!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/joanestabrook#/profile.php?id=757050283&
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat
Number of posts : 4545
: : Werewolf
: : Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered Bjevig
More Numbers : 7594093
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 3:58 am

This?
Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered Neanderthal
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/madammarieshorrordollz/

PostSubject: Re: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 am

^^lol

If I remember right, Nat Geo also had an article where there was evidence that Neanderthals inter-bred with humans. It seems (if I remember right) that that's where red-hair comes from.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 7:43 pm

They were saying that it is possible that the Neanderthals did not completely die out but interbred with Homo sapiens. They discovered a skeleton of a young child that had both features of Neanderthal and human.
Back to top Go down
cynfullov
star member
cynfullov

Number of posts : 3919
Location : Wickedly at play while the GODS of HADES give an ever watchful grinning eye.
: : Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered 2ajugar
More Numbers : 7654013
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 pm

(( Cough Cough )) Reminded me of this.
Back to top Go down
Ginger_Snaps
Ginger_Snaps

Leo Cat

PostSubject: Re: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Am I the only one who finds those cavemen to be really really sexy?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered   Neanderthal 'make-up' containers discovered I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1